One important factor many people don’t consider is the cost of travel time.
Many times when we travel, we can spend 3- 24 hours of travel time. This is time that is generally uncomfortable, and sometimes painful. It is time that is lost productivity (we can’t work or exercise effectively). It affects the productivity of the time before & after with recovery.
For example, visiting my grandparents is a 2 hour plan flight… but it also has the following time costs:
- 1-3 hours lost productivity in arranging schedule
- 30 minutes packing
- 30 minute drive to airport
- 1.5 hours in airport
- 2 hour plane flight
- 30 minutes disembarking
- 1 hour drive to grandparents
- TOTAL – 8 hours lost productive time
- ROUND TRIP TOTAL – 16 hours – That’s 2 full lost workdays.
Visiting Long Beach example:
- 20 minutes prep
- 50 minutes drive time
- TOTAL – 70 minutes
- ROUND TRIP TOTAL – 140 minutes
Bangkok visit example:
- 3-5 hours lost productivity in arranging schedule
- 1 hour packing
- 30 minutes to airport
- 24 hours flight / travel time
- 1 hour to hotel
- 4-8 hours lost productivity in trip recovery time
- TOTAL – 35 hours lost productivity
- ROUND TRIP TOTAL – 70 hours… Several lost days worth of time.