Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the practice of optimizing websites so that their pages appear in high positions in search engines like Google for important keywords (like “women’s swimwear”).
PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor – this is a made up name… it originally was just initials) is the default programming language of the web. It is the P in LAMP stack. If you see dynamic websites (social networks, dating sites, workout trackers, etc.) there is a good chance it is built in PHP.
So what do you PHP & SEO have in common?
Actually a lot. Most of the best search engine optimized platforms like WordPress, Magento, Drupal and others are built in PHP. Tons of free open source software is built in PHP.
Below are my favorite practical applications for PHP:
- Dynamic HTML & XML sitemaps. You can programmatically build a webpage using PHP that keeps itself constantly up to date with all the most recent content additions.
- Automatic Redirects. Remembering to setup 301 redirects after each time you delete or change a webpages URL is difficult to remember. You can set up your PHP code to automatically add to your 301 redirects when necessary.
- Pretty URLs. This is more of a warning than an application: it is easy to set up PHP so it passes information in URLs, creating ugly URLs like http://www.example.com/index.php?t=125189200. We prefer URLs such as http://www.example.com/bill-and-ted-excellent-adventure.
What are some practical applications you have found for PHP in an SEO context?
My to do list is ridiculously large and consists of items like:
- Christmas cards for clients
- Build case studies for web design (separate ones for programming vs CMS vs ecommerce?)
- Start Adwords to GWO test for CT
- Go to programmer networking events for recruiting
73 separate items to do, to be exact.
You hear about the multimillion dollar annual bonuses given to Wall Street employees?
That’s your money.
The most popular form of paying private equity firms is a concept called “2 and 20”. What it means is that these firms get 2% of the total investment each year AND 20% of the profits. No self respecting private business owner or manager would ever agree to such obscene terms.
So who does pay that? Who makes the 1% massively richer?
That honor goes to public pension fund managers, investing enormous amounts of teachers, firefighters and other public employees’ retirement funds.
Most of these investments have severely underperformed and lost billions of dollars. So why do pension fund managers invest so poorly? Because they don’t care. Its not their money. And after a few years as pension fund manager, the same firms they pay now will give them extremely well paying jobs. Its a rotten good old boys network corruptly siphoning off public retirement funds.
Do I blame the players of this game? Do I hate the bankers?
I hate the system. Anytime a government system like this is set up, someone smart will abuse it. The fact that public employees are forced to contribute their income to a pension fund plan everyone knows wont be able to pay them is wrong. Having politicians who suck at economics, but know how to take care of thrmselves and their buddies, operate pension funds is wrong.
The whole system needs to be privatized. Introduce an element of honest competition and you wont have these problems at the scale we for now. You will have an occasional outliers like Madoff, but our entire current system of government (social security, Medicare, etc) is a massive Ponzi fraud. If you let teachers decide where to invest their own retirements I guarantee you most of it will not end up in a 2 &20 scheme.
Money is a very poor motivator. It is a fun yardstick to use to see your profess, sort of like points in a video game. However, work driven only by money is shoddy and minimal.
I want to motivate people in different ways… money should be almost superfluous.
People should be passionate and excited about work each day.
How can I do that?
I created this image today to help people better understand how SEO works. If you open the How-SEO-Works image in a new tab you will be able to view it in full size and read more about how SEO gets you top rankings in the search engines.