I have struggled with finding good ways to teach myself hard concepts. By hard concepts, I mean skills that take multiple weeks or months or even years to become proficient at. For example, C# programming, playing the guitar, sex, and flag football.
So what are the 4 steps to becoming a GRANDMASTER of any new hard concept?
- Lay out the overall structure
- Break down the structure into step by step pieces
- Use books or videos to help you internalize those pieces
Turning yourself into a superstar pro on any topic can be done, but it takes time and effort and perseverance.
How can you make it easier on yourself to persevere in learning a new topic?
Do things that FORCE yourself to touch the topic a little bit every day:
- Take classes
- Tell your friends what you are learning
- Set aside a certain time every day for learning
- Find people very interested in the same topic and spend time with them
What do you want to be an expert in?