Magento is a real powerhouse platform, capable of satisfying even the most complex eCommerce business needs with masterful precision. Take the themes, for instance. If you’re trying to build an online storefront for your business, but you don’t consider yourself the savviest web designer, you can choose from among a wealth of pre-designed themes and templates to make your website look fantastic. But how do you choose the right themes? As the founder of Coalition Technologies, a major Magento SEO firm, I encounter this question a lot, so I thought I would put together some basic tips to get you started.
Choosing Your Theme – Tips from a Magento SEO Firm
Before you download or purchase a custom layout for your Magento website, keep in mind that choosing a theme is kind of like buying a home (albeit on a much, much smaller scale). You’re probably going to be stuck with it for a while, so shop carefully and make sure that you don’t settle until you find that one theme that takes your breath away. Also consider the following:
- Think of your theme as an investment. Sure, there are plenty of free themes that you can download, but most of them look like cheap WordPress blogs, and they aren’t going to make the best or most professional impression with potential customers. Pay a little extra for the more attractive premium themes. I promise; it will pay off in the long run.
- Expand your horizons. Magento Connect has some great themes available, but it’s not the only game in town. There are a number of third-party providers that offer amazing themes, so perform a quick Google search for “Magento themes,” and check out the full scope of what’s available. The more options you have, the better your chances of finding the perfect theme to reflect your unique vision.
- Consider your brand. Careful branding is not only a good idea; it’s absolutely essential to business prosperity. Styles, designs, color schemes…these are just a few of the accents that make very subtle but very powerful impressions, and your branding needs to be consistent. For instance, let’s say that you sell designer watches. If your business stresses elegance and class, you don’t want to use a theme befitting of a circus. Pay attention to the seemingly minor details.
- Consider skipping the stock themes altogether. With an expert designer on your side, you can create the theme of your dreams without being limited by the often repetitive marketplace offerings. This is especially important if you have specific branding requirements. By partnering with a Magento designer, you can create a site that’s truly your own. It might cost a little more, but it puts you completely in control and gives you a much-needed edge over the competition. After all, there are thousands—possibly millions—of businesses using the stock themes that you’re considering. Why not distinguish yourself with something original?
- When you think you’ve found the right theme, get a second opinion. And then a third. Other people can offer a fresh perspective and let you know whether you’ve chosen wisely or need to keep looking.
Magento – More Than Just Themes
You have a lot of things to consider when it comes to Magento themes, but you have plenty of options available. But here’s something you may not have considered: once that site is designed and unveiled to the public, how are you going to generate the necessary traffic to ensure a worthwhile return on your investment? That’s where SEO comes in. You can have the best site in the world, but if nobody can find it, it will all be for naught. If you’re having a hard time achieving those all-important search engine rankings, call Coalition Technologies. My company is a top Magento SEO firm, and we employ some of the best SEO experts in the industry. Don’t leave your success to chance. Give us a call at 1-888-800-9101, and let us show you how we can take your online business to new heights.