I strongly believe we need a global government for several reasons:
- Every major company and government is working on building artificial intelligence to gain an advantage over other people… but superintelligent AI will have vast advantages over our species and could result in our extinction. We need a global government to regulate and protect against this possibility as I believe it will happen in the next five years.
- If you truly believe that all men are created equal, and that everyone should have a fair shot at improving their standing in life, you must support this.
- We would see massive gains in the world economy by freeing up labor and trade to go to where it most needed, and by removing artificial constraints and monopolies.
How would I set up this global government? I would use a federal – state model similar to what we have in the US. I would set up restrictions on the federal government to keep it weak, but give it enough strength to prevent state by state revolutions or things like that. Core principles would be:
- The federal government and the states cannot maintain a standing army. They may have police forces, but these need to be limited. An army can only be raised in periods of external threats (states not joining the federation, AI, or aliens) and only for a year at a time and require 70% of Congress to approve.
- All borders must be open for emigration and trade.
- The federal government can maintain police, and courts but that is pretty much it.
- Checks and balances should be in place for courts vs congress vs executive offices.
- Strict constitutional limits should be placed on the growth of government with very high hurdles for changing the constitution.
- Taxation must be transparent, simple, and fair. No special exemptions or gifts to special interests. Perhaps a flat sales tax exempting anyone below the poverty line.