I don’t really do New Years resolutions. I have a goals spreadsheet that I track my goal progress (or lack thereof) in each day.
In 2017 I had a few goal categories:
- WIN – I was able to meet the revenue goal with Coalition
- WIN – Able to restructure the business to run more smoothly so I could build the structure of it.
- WIN – Brought in a roommate (Levi) that cut my expenses at home in half
- LOSS – Could not figure out good investments for extra capital, so it just sits in bonds for now.
- WIN – I drank too much in the first half of 2017, but I quit in July and have not had a drink in 6 months. Feeling much better now.
- LOSS – was not able to climb 5.12a or run a 6 minute mile… but I did not really try hard at these and I think I could do them.
- WIN – stopping drinking has been a big improvement
- WIN – lots of programming
- LOSS – My phone has continued to take over my life… it’s a devil.
Overall, this year was a good one. Laurel and I have been working on having a kid and making progress there I think. We also did a lot of traveling and I was able to successfully run the company remotely. I got an Xbox and got addicted to Rocket League and Overwatch, but gave both of those up months ago. I am playing a bit now for the first time in a while doing a single person RPG – South Park: Stick of Truth. I also read probably 40 or so books this year. The Stormlight Archives were an especially fun series.
I have spent the last couple of months trying to rebuild our recruiting system to allow multiple companies on it. I think I am nearing launch status now. Just need to set up the social network component and a marketing site and fix up the HTML / CSS and other bugs.
My goals in 2018 haven’t changed much:
- Double monthly revenue run rate by end of year
- Restructure to allow for a PEO
- Launch recruiting site for other businesses
- Finish management reports and other core tools in Scoretask
- Find better investment vehicles than bonds, but protect the capital.
- Once a month, try to run a 6 minute mile and climb a 5.12a.
- Be nicer to people and more encouraging, especially with my old habits with Jordan and Laurel
- Stay sober
- Continue programming several days a week
- Find something new to learn every day