What are the potential problems that arise from smoking during pregnancy?
- Ectopic pregnancy: Fetus implants itself in the wrong spot, resulting in miscarriage
- Smoking causes 115,000 miscarriages and 5,600 stillbirths each year
- Increased risk of placental abruption: this condition is where the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus and the baby suffocates from lack of oxygen
- Increased risk of premature babies
- Increased risk of apnea and infant sudden death syndrome
- Increased risk of genetic defects, like cleft lip and retardation
- Increased vaginal bleeding
- Smokers fetuses receive less oxygen and nutrients, resulting in smaller & sicker children
Scary stuff, eh?